Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Methadone Romance

So it occurs to me that I haven't written anything since Saturday. No bloggery, just imagery and a couple of links. So while this isn't a properly thought out and researched piece on some facet of perversion that floats my boat, I wanted to briefly touch on something I posted on a forum a few weeks back.

It was regarding the value of an online Dom/sub relationship.

I made a point that having an online relationship with someone can be exciting, dramatic, romantic, passionate and many other things, but at the end of the day it's never going to be anything other than Methadone. 

Now, for those of you who are having trouble placing what Methadone is, it's the drug they give to Heroin addicts here in the UK as a lesser substitute to keep them off Heroin. A bit like margarine is to butter, I guess. It's similar, but it's not the real thing.

My point about an online relationship, a cyber-affair, e-love if you will, was that if you're going online to find something, it's because you want it. You want it as part of your life, regardless if you have the courage to actually go through with it or not. The desire for it is there, though. Doing it online is a way to try it without actually doing it, like dipping your toe in the proverbial cold swimming pool. The water might be cold, but you're not in it.

I get that people are in relationships, sometimes their partners don't give them what they want, or aren't into the more extreme aspects of sex, so they go online looking to fulfill that need. I don't have an issue with what people do. Go for it. It's a form of experimentation too, and that's a good thing in my book, providing no-one's getting hurt by it.

But let's not lose perspective here. Mucking around online, messaging, texts, photos, webcams, forums, PM's, emails, even phone calls. They're not the real thing. They're the methadone. 

Happy to hear anyone's thoughts on this. Anon's can comment too.

JJ

2 comments:

  1. I've mentioned before (over and over, perhaps) that my relationship began online - but I didn't go looking for it. I was just chatting to a bunch of folks and my husband and I kept being thrown into strange situations alone together, online, despite the 6-hour time difference between us.

    It was a very real romance - but we never even pretended that either of us could continue with only being online. We met as soon as we could financially afford it, and were miserable any time we were apart, though we did try to make up for it with lots and lots of netsex.

    I maintain several very close friendships online and, besides not being able to "just hang out," I don't feel anything is missing there - but romantically or otherwise intimate/sexual? Torture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got friends that met online, and have a similar story to yourself. They're married now with kids and happy, by all appearances.
      I don't think there's anything wrong with online romance, and I think more and more people are meeting that way. All I'm saying is that it needs to be kept in perspective, and often it's only a substitute for what you really desire. It has to be taken further if it's going to become 'real', much like you and your husband. On it's own, it's merely Methadone.

      Delete