Saturday, February 11, 2012

Readers Comments: The Writers Perspective

So this is a blog post that I've had trouble deciding if I should post or not. 

Readers comments come in many different ways, all manner of shapes and sizes, which makes sense if you think about it. Everyone has opinions, everyone is shaped by their experiences. Some people are selfish, some are generous, some people are nice and some people are assholes. So you get comments from all sorts. 

Here's a comment I got today from an Anonymous Lit reader:

"42 PAGES ARE YOU CRAZY! 90% of the readers here will never read this due to it being 42 pages in one shot. you say you are writing for yourself not the readers thats fine just don't post it. if you are writing for the readers and care about them you will write stories no longer than 4 pages per chapter. if you have any brains and care at all about the readers enjoyment then you will delete this and break it up into 10-11 chapters and use a good editor. SHOW SOME PRIDE IN YOUR WORK AND A WHOLE LOT OF RESPECT FOR THE READERS AND EITHER DO IT RIGHT OR NOT AT ALL. SOME OF US ARE ON PUBLIC COMPUTERS AND CAN NOT BOOKMARK STORIES OR JOIN SITES LIKE THIS AND YOU RUIN THE SITE FOR US THINK BEFORE POSTING AGAIN."

So I'm ruining Literotica by posting The Island? Interesting viewpoint and apparently I have no respect for the readers either because I didn't post it around the schedule of those who have to use public computers and can't join a free website as members? And if I have any brains I'll delete it? 

lol... somehow I don't think posting comments in this style is going to increase my respect for the readers, especially from an Anonymous commenter, who rants at me because I haven't posted a story that fits in with his allocated fap time. 

The sad thing is, however valid a point he may have, making his point in that fashion isn't going to get anyone to listen. Me particularly.

Then on the other hand you get comments like these:

"This story is absolutely amazing. Best ever. You wrote it so nicely that there has to be follow up stories. Shell Shocked! "

"The story was great, Detailed, thorough and exciting. I think a sequel would be cool, expanding the relationships between the characters, The triplets, Sarah, Patricia, Casey and Margerita, there's so much potiential. I really hope you consider a sequel, or several even.
thanks. "


"Truly awesome.I can't take my eyes off this story.we really need continuation for this story.Looking forward for more on this. Really want to know more about what happens next in their lives!! "

I like comments like these, but who wouldn't. It's appreciation, approval and feedback from some genuine enjoyment, something I would think every writer enjoys. But let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Perhaps the people here have genuinely discerning taste buy maybe they don't. For all I know their boxes could be ticked simply by having a blonde woman in the story who likes it up the ass. I don't know. Truthfully, there's no way I can know because there's no way of quantifying the level of their enjoyment or taste, so I can't place any weight on their words.

That all being said, I LOVE reading the positive comments. I'm a sucker and I can't help it.

There are other types of comments though. I've had emails from grammar nazi's, some helpful and some just moronic. I've had dozens from people with suggestions for what should follow, usually based around what their own fantasies are. Some of them fit what the characters would do and some are so far out there it's unbelievable, but these comments are more about what the reader would like to read than what the characters themselves would do. They're all valid, and they're all honest, which I like. 

Then there's the comments that come back with something constructive. For instance telling me areas of the story that they didn't quite buy into, or where they think I dropped the ball, and not just saying I did, but explaining what they mean, where they think I went wrong or could have done better or where a particular part of the story needs fleshed out. These comments to me are really helpful. They're giving me the viewpoint of a stranger, an observer watching the story unfold as they read and when things don't quite fit, they take the time to let me know. To me, this is hugely valuable. It's an opportunity to learn from mistakes that I can't see because I'm too close, or to note down things that need addressed in the sequel(s) if at all possible. 

Over the last few weeks, editing and re-writing The Island, I've been able to address nearly all of these constructive comments, or plot them into the following stories, and as a result, the readers who have taken the time to be helpful haven't wasted that time. Their comments have value.

The positive comments, the messages of support and the suggestions, pleads, questions and rants for more stories have given me the confidence to continue with it because I know that out there, there's people who want to read what I've written.

As for the negative comments? The haters, the rude, the obnoxious, the selfish or the assholes... fuck them. Their words have no value. Their comments are usually either about their needs and how I haven't met them or what they would do if they were in the characters position.

Well, I'm not responsible for meeting everyone's needs, everyone's fantasies, wants and desires. I write for me, and I chose to share that. Like it or don't like it. Read it or don't read it. That's your choice as a consumer. For me as a provider, I'm happy to put it out there. It's up to you if you want to eat it or not, but commenting that you don't like the plate it's served on is pretty pointless, and without value. 


As for the commenters who tell me what they would have done if they were in Kyle's shoes, again, it's a pointless comment. You're not Kyle. You're someone else entirely. You're not in the story and you don't exist in that universe, so why waste your time telling me what a random stranger such as yourself would have done? What makes you think for one second that's of interest or use or value to me? 

I read every comment that comes in. I read every private message or email that's sent to me. Do I appreciate them all? Most of them, even some of the ridiculous ones. 

But at the end of every message I think about what the person has said and I have to place a value on it. I need to do this so it can worth, weight if you like. So it has value. 

I'm going to leave you with an email I got from someone a couple of weeks ago that I took the time to reply to. Hopefully this will give you a bit more of a perspective what the writers on Literotica have to put up with. 

Finally, if I've offended you with my words here, then my apologies. I've pretty much written this as I see it. It's unedited, unchanged and exactly as I've written it. A blurt or a rant, if you will. Influenced by the readers comments.


JJ




The email:


Considering you described yourself as a dom in your blog, I really miss in the Story a Time where Kyle asserts himself, just says 'fuck you all' and goes of to do his thing. Then they hunt him down and he comes back, but stronger than before. Just an Idea.

He is a wussy in your Story, doing what they tell him to, like a puppy dog. Ok now and then he throws a five minute tantrum like a three year old. I dont know, if it would have been me I would have told them to back the fuck off right at the Beginning, I mean whats the point in being rich, if you live like a fuckin Go-fer. Every one of his Servants has more freedom than he does. I am sure you know what I mean.


I am nearly through with your Story and I really like it. Only that he lives like a submissive pet, while he is theoretically in charge puts me off. But that of course is a matter of taste. Considering how many cuckolding fans there are on literotica it wont damage your rating, dont worry.



The response:

I think there's something you're missing here. Kyle isn't me. He's not a Dom, he has no BDSM experiences and his formattive sexual experience was with a girl he met on spring break. Kyle's definition of the ultimate sexual experience would be an experience like he had with Katie - that emotional connection, symbiotic bond, making love, whatever.
But Kyle's entering new territory....

Then you have to consider the following;
  • That his home/family/job/life has been pretty much turned upside down
  • That his two figures of sexual fantasy turn out to be his sisters
  • That he's adopted and didn't know it
  • That he's suddenly got all this money, but this massive responsibility comes along with it
  • That he's hiding a big fucking secret that if it gets out could destroy him
  • That he's in a world that's unfamiliar to him, where he's still learning the rules and trying to keep afloat
  • That he might be getting blackmailed
An ordinary guy in extraordinary circumstances, under enormous pressures. He's not a Dom either, although with the continued influence of Patricia in his life, he may well find he likes it and develop that way. Time will tell on that front though.
I'm still struggling to see him as a submissive pet, and the cuckold comment made me laugh. Cheers for that.


As for the comment on him being 'Wussy' in your story, and what you'd have done. If you walk into a new job as a manager, do you try and figure out what to do, what needs done, what your people are like, who seems competent and what the fuck am I meant to be doing, or do you start laying down the law on how it's gonna be?  That's what we're talking about here. Kyle's doing the smart thing, and he's trying to be a good guy. You might think he's 'Wussy' but I don't see it. He's a guy who's struggling and trying to keep up, while doing the right thing. The responsible thing.

Mail me again when you've finished the story - at least that way you'll have the full picture.


JJ


(And no, I've never heard back)

21 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:28 PM

    In response to the comment about the Island being 42 pages long - that's what I loved about it ! The guy slating it was probably just pissed because he couldn't toss one off in the library in the two minutes it takes to read some of the other stories on there ! It's a fantastic storyline with good characters im eagerly awaiting the next installment ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. This is a work of art. I appreciate good books, and yours was very engaging. I stayed up until 5am reading it and only got to page 27. Keep on writing dude. I was actually concerned Edwin was going to get what he wanted. Very good style adding thrill and intrigue with an erotic story. 20 out of 10

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kojote1:18 AM

    There’s one point of value hidden in this furious and otherwise pointless comment you quoted first. Iz's got to do with your desire for helpful and constructive comments:
    Reading a story that long and getting enthralled like it happened to me left me without many details to point out at the end.
    I happen to have few spare time and it gets distributed between reading, living and writing (in about that order). I didn’t make comments while reading, because your story was just too good to take this time. Would it have been served in parts I would have commented every single part of it and maybe I’d have had some helpful insight. But as it was I was just… overwhelmed.
    Combine this with a lack of fluency in the language and you get what I posted for you: One of those things that feel good, but don’t help much.

    Maybe that could be something to consider when thinking about the way you want to present the sequels.
    But I’ll read them either way… ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to say that I really enjoyed your Island story, I didn't think the length was an issue at all, I stayed up 3hrs later than usual reading through it in one go.

    I noticed that in the preamble to the story on Literotica that you said you had several stories written already, if you have any more please publish it asap, I cannot wait to see what these characters get up to next!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:52 AM

    So when are we getting the second part?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:30 PM

    Fantastic story!! Better than many books I've read. Could barely put it aside to get on with rest of life. Will be looking for the rest of the "novel" to be published on smash words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Avid Reader6:10 AM

    42 pages wasn't enough. I get frustrated with the one page ridiculousness that overwhelms literotica. As a person who read all 9 of Jacqueline Carey's epic romantic/erotic/slightly fantasy-themed Kushiel's Legacy, each weighing in at over 750 pages, some well over 1000... I can't get enough of Kyle, Katie, Kara, and Patricia. Please continue with as many pages as it takes to get their entire story out. Your writing is engaging, interesting, and entertaining. Eff the haters, love the fans, and write until you feel the story is finished. I'll probably still ask for more though. I would critique your tale, but it would only be stating what I would like to see more of, and I get the feeling that most of those things will be forthcoming in sequel(s), as they feel like the natural evolution of the story in my mind. Once I see what you come up with, I may comment on where I differ, but it would only be an opinion, not a declaration of what your story should be or contain. You rock. Write more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous5:41 PM

    I wanted to say I VERY MUCH ENJOYED THREADS. It was an actual story and not some poorly combined series of ill concieved sexual encounters. I am eagerly waiting for more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous6:21 AM

    Length is never a problem...
    It's now four hours after I started reading The Island and it's been an absolutely riveting read, all 42 pages of it. Very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous5:43 PM

    Hi, I finished The Island a week ago, and I've enjoyed it more than anything else I've read in the past 4 years (I don't just mean erotic literature, I mean out of fiction in it's entirety). I liked it enough that I came here looking to see if you've written anything else continuing it. I'm actually surprised you don't have more works published. The Island has the feel of a bit of fun published by a real pro. You've got chops, don't quit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous10:19 PM

    I liked the island could not stop reading i fell a sleep half way just could not keep my eyes open and finished it the next day. Cant wait for the next instalment just tell pepole when it out hope you write more storys and publish on lit thanks for the story it was great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous3:11 PM

    I really really liked your story and it is now among my top three favorite stories. I like long stories mainly because the writer gets a chance to build the characters which makes it so much more believable. Also I have found that when writer do them a chapter at a time and publish the chapter mistakes are made which is not picked when edited.

    So, please keep writing on Lit but when the Island is published I'll tell my friend to buy it. I personally will miss the references to the celebrities as I am sure every other male has had similar fantasies.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous7:34 AM

    I am only 1/2 way through 'The Island' at the moment & I love it!
    I am staying up later than I am meant to & reading it at work when I get the chance.
    Half way through this & it is one of the best that I have read. I will no doubt be rereading it again once I finish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous2:18 PM

    I was certainly not amused by the email sent to you as posted above. It is ludicrous in its entirety (the person who sent it obviously has no clue about writing at all). I read your story and was very impressed with it. It was an excellent piece of fiction with an adult twist; it had a good pace, a solid plot and believable, three dimensional characters. The dialogue was also natural and flowed well - something that can be hard to achieve. I look forward to seeing how You develop Your characters and their stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:54 AM

      well said. I'm dying for the follow up! One of the best reads ever ever happened upon.

      Delete
  15. Ash Shadow6:17 AM

    I agree with many comments above. This one of my all time favorite stories I have ever read. Eagerly awaiting part two.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous1:13 AM

    I agree with the positive comments above. I just finished reading your story on Literotica and came here to see if you had written a sequel. Now I find out that you're working on getting it published as a book, which is fantastic! The biggest disappointment is going to be the removal of all the celebrities, that was really a nice touch. I'm looking forward to both the sequel and the book. You're a great writer, keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really enjoyed the island. I read it in one sitting. It was a great story. It had a good plot, good sorry, allot of detail, and was very captivating. You did a great job and I would love to see a sequel. You could very well get published it was that good. As for the negative comments don't listen to them. If they don't like it it's their fault not yours. You can't please everyone. Do what you do and go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi JJ
    I agree with Michael, Fabulous story, was left on a bit of a cliff hanger :) defo could do with a sequel
    Keep writing, ignore the others, its GOOOOD

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous4:03 AM

    Excellent story. Due to the lack of a follow-up, I read the story again every few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous12:57 PM

    The Island was by far the best story I have read on LIT. I read it all in one sitting and while all of the erotic scenes were very well written and appropriately "fap-worthy" it was your writing style and the need to see how the whole story played out and the time invested in each character that kept me reading. Very well done! I feel that there is much more of a story to be told about Sarah, and should you feel the need to let that story out, I will happily read it with enthusiasm. Are you published anywhere besides LIT? If not, for gods sake, why not?

    ReplyDelete